My job hunt earlier this year made us confront the real possibility of moving away from our beloved city of Chicago. We know God loves the whole world (and we love it, too) — but we’ve definitely been glad to stay put.
In no particular order, here are some — but far from all — of the things we’re glad we’re not having to miss:
- Our Illinois license plate, “Gen 11” (the same plate as on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)
- The Cubs and Wrigley Field
- Our 1925 bungalow, “Saint Lou” (see video below)
- Dr. Minkus, the greatest pediatrician
- Christopher Miller, the greatest counselor
- The eight-blocks-to-a-mile grid
- Cesar and Hector, our UPS and mail men (respectively)
- The Detholz and Baby Teeth
- The Chicago Public Library’s newly powerful website
- Real pizza
- No smoking in bars and restaurants by city ordinance
- Ann’s stylist and Jon’s barber (Manny at the Noyes Barbershop)
- The city flag (see video below)
- Potbelly’s Sandwich Works
- Walker Brothers Pancake House
- All the dearest friends!
We know many of you love Chicago, too. What would you add to this list?
Finally, here’s a clip of us sitting on the front steps of “Saint Lou” under our Chicago flag. It’s taken from the very end of the footage previously released as StrollerCam — but now played in real time, slow enough for you to hear what we’re saying.
It’s a 1.8 MB download and runs 0’15”.
Video requires the free QuickTime plugin.