Thu, Jun 15, 2006
The Lucy Files: Week 7, Day 2
Everywhere we go, people tell us how quickly babies grow and how fast these days will go by. We figure even a few random notes will help us remember when things start to fade. Thus, we begin what may become a regular feature here: The Lucy Files.
Here are some of the unconnected tidbits we’re treasuring at seven weeks, two days:
- Lucy actually says “ah-goo.” I thought only cartoon babies said that. She seems to have developed a variety of other cooing sounds, too.
- This morning, it really sounded like Lucy gave a big giggle as she slept in her swing. Whatever it was, it sounded really cute!
- Speaking of her swing, she’s been enjoying an early-morning, post-nursing snooze in the cradle swing in the kitchen while Papa does his breakfast and coffee. Not even the coffee grinder can stir her!
- Lucy likes to attempt to climb up our bodies, as if she is scaling a mountain. Recently, she has been using my pregnancy-enlarged navel as a foothold.
- Lucy occasionally will remember that she has hands and begin to suck on them vigorously.
- While having a diaper change, Lucy stares upwards, transfixed by the Montessori-inspired mobile I made out of yellow and black card stock before she was born. (See photo.)
Photo: A Lucy’s-eye-view from the changing table.
- Lucy seems to be less tortured by having her clothes changed than she was a few weeks ago…which is good, given all the spitting up.
- Lucy reluctantly enjoys having a bath sometimes, especially when we pour warm water all over her belly. And she still loves having us style her ‘do with the hair dryer.
- Lucy find the dangling toys on her bouncy seat bar fascinating even though she doesn’t yet reach for them, and she just started enjoying looking at the mobile on her swing, too.
- Lucy is a confirmed a double-sneezer, almost always sneezing twice since the day she was born.
- Lucy enjoys releasing a small fountain of urine during her diaper changes. (Doctor Diaper is the most successful at catching these outpourings in the dirty diaper.)
- Lucy has been grasping things more and more, from her own hair to Mama’s shirt-neckline to a brief attempt at Papa’s glasses.
- Lucy’s eyes are definitely getting lighter, and if this indicates where they’ll end up, we have a blue-eyed beauty in the house. Mama’s dominant brown-eye gene may have been outflanked.
- We try to clean out Lucy’s hand lint and neck cheese often, but it often seems to reproduce quicker than we can keep up.
- Lucy’s baby acne, which peaked at about 5 weeks, has definitely improved. Intense crying seems to highlight the few “blossoms” (as one friend called them) that are still around. (Mama thinks her own blossoms would flare up too if she cried that hard!)
- We hate to admit it, but when she cries hardest we often have to laugh. Her theatrics can get so overwrought, though we know it’s not intentional!
- She’s just getting big enough (9 pounds 12 ounces, at her last weigh-in) that her arms can stick out the arm holes of the BabyBjÃ¶rn as intended.
- And best of all, the smiles are getting more and more consistent every day! She’s got a big grin that wrinkles her nose and shows her upper gums, and we can hardly stand it.
This post was last modified October 29, 2006 at 2:34 pm